Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Holy Graceland!!

When we planned our summer vacation 2014 and voted to go to Memphis, I was excited but not as pumped as I could have been.  Though I’m not sure why, I suspect I was tired as it was and the idea of touring and paying and cooking had me tired during vacation.  In 2013 we went to Dauphin Island Alabama and the only things we did were:
  1. Eat
  2. Nap
  3. Ocean Visit
 
That’s it!!  It was dreamy, not boring.  It was family friendly, not frumpy.  I guess too, last year was so awesome, what if this one was doomed to fail?  Superstition does still tend to guide some of my thinking.
 
And then we went to Graceland.  I was 3 when Elvis died.  I recall some of this songs but most of them were redone by other artists.  So I gotta say initially I was NOT all that pumped to go.  But I was mistaken. 
 
Graceland Mansion, Memphis Tennessee
 
 


 
The Presley Kitchen

To summarize my experience I was humbled to see such a celebration of a person’s life and a celebration of the hideous 70s.  Olive green, orange, paneling, shag carpet and fur covered furniture were some of the highlights for me.  Lisa Marie’s child hood swing set still stood.  I had one just like it when I got to be a swing set age. 

The Formal Dining Room


It was humbling because Elvis wasn’t just a rock and roll pioneer, but he was a human being.  A father, husband, an individual.  I felt sort of guilty pilfering through his house but at the same time was miffed the upstairs was off-limits to the public.


Apparently upon word of Elvis’ death, his room and bathroom were sealed off.  Cotton balls and a-tips still litter the bathroom today because that condition when he died. How loved was he to preserve those moments. 
 
 
 
 
 
The Piano Elvis played; he played it the morning he died.
I am not sure if Graceland left you with any particular feelings but it had me a little befuddled after.  Sometimes when people die, rather than call it a funeral, peeps will refer to it as a celebration of life.  I am not sure in our country is there is a greater tribute to one’s life than Graceland. I have a new found respect and (dare I say it) love for Elvis and his family.  Here are some pictures I took which are not good and do no justice, but my wish is you fondly recall the experience as young as you were.  

Love, Mom
 
 


 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment